This Route 18 was proposed as a route from Camden to Merchantville.
Heading from Moorestown into Maple Shade on CR 537. This is the oldest bridge for this route we could locate. It is dated 1930 and there is no route number stamp. The bridge crosses current-day NJ 73. Photo taken
|1923 Chap 184 "Route No. 18- From Camden to Merchantville, through Moorestown, Mount Holly, Pemberton, New Lisbon, Brown's Mills and Lakehurst to Toms River and ending at the junction of Route No. 4 with the Toms River-Lakehurst road at Toms River."|
|In the proposed 1926 renumbering this road was renumbered as Route No. 23 From a point on Route #2 at or near Camden to Toms River, by way of Merchantville, Moorestown, Mount Holly, Pemberton, New Lisbon, Brown's Mills and Lakehurst, ending at the junction of Route #4 with the Toms River-Lakehurst road at Lakehurst.|
|From what we can tell, the current-day routing of this road is, from Camden, CR 537 East to Mount Holly- CR 612 South in Mount Holly - SR 38 East to US 206- continue straight through 206 on CR 530 East to SR 70 - SR 70 East to Lakehurst - SR 37 East - CR 527 South to terminus at US 9 in Toms River. It also appears that most of the western half of this route was superceded by NJ 38.|
Back to NJ 1920s Highways